- How has your time been in camp with the Australian Team?
It’s been really good so far! We have stayed in some awesome places and the training has been really good! It’s a really good bunch of fellas which makes it a whole lot easier!
- You’ve been named to make your test debut against Scotland is this one of your proudest rugby league moments?
It’s in the top two, it’s definitely a very proud moment for me and my family! To get to play for the Kangaroos is something that you dream of and for it to happen is a bit surreal! I’m just trying to soak in the whole experience.
The other proud moment for me in my career is was when I got to play alongside my brother Tom in his debut match against Canberra down in Albury! Our whole family came down and that was a proud moment for us all.
- What’s been the best part of the tour so far? Have you been able to do any sight-seeing?
There’s been some pretty cool things so far! Staying in Manchester for a couple of nights was pretty cool. There was a lot to do which was good!
The Manchester Institute of health and performance was unbelievable. The facilities were crazy!!
We also stayed at St George’s Park. The English football teams stay there, along with the likes of Barcelona. The condition of this facility is crazy!! The fields are all first class!
- How is it working with Mal & the other senior coaches?
It’s been really good working with all the coaching staff. They are very experienced and know a lot about the game! They’ve all done a lot as both players and as coaches.
Training has been really good. We get in and get the job done without going on too long!
- What does your day consist of when you have training? If you could give a brief description
Each day is different in regards to training sessions, however one of our bigger training days goes like this.
We get split into three groups of 8, of which there is a rotation between a 45 minute gym session and a 45 minute skill session on the field. Following that we have a break for lunch etc
Team meeting discussing tactics etc, followed by a field session for 90 minutes.
We then have recovery in the ice baths and pools, followed by massage.
- Who are you rooming with?
We have had our own rooms for most of the trip, however I roomed for 2 nights with Matt Scott in Manchester!
- Being a new comer to the test team have there been any rookie pranks played on you?
No pranks as of yet, however all the rookies had to get the bags off the team bus when we got to our hotel the first night in England.
- Will the family be coming over at some stage to watch any games?
Yeah my Mum and Dad are coming over to watch me play against Scotland. It’s great to have them over here.
My brothers couldn’t come unfortunately. Luke and Ben have school, and Tom starts preseason early next week!
- Are you aware you’re the first MV Raider player to represent Australia at the senior level?
No I wasn’t. But that’s pretty cool!
Growing up the Mona Vale Raiders was a big part of our life, and I’ve still got heaps of friends still from when I played there!
- With many of the players not really get an off season due to the end of season tour and Manly due to begin preseason while your away, will you get additional time off to freshen up for the 2017 season?
Yeah we go back to preseason on November 1 which is next Tuesday! Unfortunately I’ll have to miss the first few weeks, but I think players who are on the four nations come back to training at the start of January.