Mona Vale Raiders – 2014 Presidents Report
In 2014 we had 17 teams from U6s to U17s and our player numbers increased slightly. Frank Sergi’s U9w team won the Div 2 Premiership in an extra time thriller and Matt Tennant’s U10w side had a good win in their Div 3 Grand Final – with both results built on outstanding defence in the mud. In Div 1, David O’Donnell’s U11m team and Mark Lawson’s U13s both finished runners up in excellent games played with great desperation.
However, I would like to thank all our coaches, managers and trainers for their tremendous efforts and commitment over the season. It’s great to see how much the player’s skills and teamwork have improved over the year. We hope you too have enjoyed the journey and been rewarded by the experience.
Over the last few years it has been of great benefit to have a stable, experienced team providing club direction. It was a pleasure to lead an outstanding Committee – John Trbojevic, David O’Donnell, Greg Stocken, Tania Marr, Jade Warner, Fiona Kelsall and Susan Senior with everyone doing a terrific job in their respective roles. However, two key, long serving Committee members are standing down this year. Greg Stocken has done a tremendous job as our Registrar over 3 years and well as being Club Secretary in 2014. David O’Donnell has made a great contribution over the last 4 years – producing our fabulous Annual Reports, is one of our most successful coaches, and has been a great mentor as our Coaching Coordinator.
A huge thank you also to our many other helpers who made it all happen, including:
- Mel Trbojevic who did a fabulous job in managing and organising the canteen rosters.
- Fiona Kelsall did another brilliant job with the Raiders website, keeping everyone up to date and capturing the action via hundreds of photos.
- Our Sponsorship Manager, Jason Death did a great job in securing existing sponsors, as well as developing new ones.
- Jade Warner was again wonderful as our gear steward and organising all the trophies.
- The Social Committee led by Holly Stubbington, organised two terrific events – the Trivia Night was a huge success – we had lots of fun raised lots of money, with many people suggesting it to be an annual event!
A big thankyou also goes to Murray Warner and the ground setup team, as well as our Ground Managers and FAOs for their role in enabling the games at Newport to be well run. It’s not always easy and sadly there were a few instances where some spectators lost all perspective on why we are there on a Saturday. Everyone needs to remember that this is a game which is put on by volunteers who are doing their best. Referees (just like players, coaches, officials, you and me) can make mistakes! We should never lose sight of the fact that it is kids footy and there will be another game next week or next year. Having said that, what keeps bringing me back, are the smiles on people’s faces – most of the time.
Hearty congratulations go to the Club Person of the Year – Jade Warner, and International Clubman of the Year – David O’Donnell.
I hope that you have had a lot of fun being part of the Mona Vale Raiders in 2014.